Winter Warmth Refugee Clothing Drive
Morrow Church is working with First Friends of New Jersey and New York and RDJ Refugee Center to provide much needed warm clothing for people recently granted asylum. During January and February, we are purchasing new winter clothing and blankets. Many people released from detention have little or no clothing, especially if they have come from Central America.
Kenin is one of those people. Kenin came from Honduras and was released on bond. He was forced to leave Honduras when the police broke into his apartment and threatened to kill him due to his sexual preferences. First Friends volunteers picked him up in Elizabeth and hosted him for the evening. Kenin arrived with an empty backpack, having “lost” all his money and belongings to a combination of human coyotes and the US immigration system. First Friends volunteers provided him with the warm clothes for his trip. Your contributions will help young men like Kenin stay warm as they begin their new life in the USA.
4 Easy Ways to Give:
- Go to the Amazon Wish List entitled: First Friends. Here is the link: http://bit.ly/FFWinterWarmthAmazon. Items range from $9.99 for a scarf to $54.00 for a jacket. Desired clothing by size is available on the gift list. The system should prompt you with Morrow’s address. But in case it doesn’t, please have your donation sent to Morrow Church, 600 Ridgewood Road, Maplewood, NJ 07040
- If you have any issues, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Buy men’s/women’s outerwear and/or blankets bring them to the church
- Write a check to Morrow Church and put “First Friends” or “RDJ Refugee Shelter” on memo line.
Refugee Support Mission
During recent years Morrow Church has had a very active mission in supporting and hosting asylum seekers in cooperation with First Friends of New York and New Jersey, including:
1) Visiting immigrants who are detained in Newark-area prisons while awaiting asylum decisions.
2) Anyone wishing to join our growing corps of immigrant detainee visitors can do so by contacting Dean Nielsen, co-ordinator at: email@example.com.